PAGES: The sketchbooks of Hiroshige in the Library of Congress
have been published, with commentary by Sherman E. Lee (New York:
George Braziller, Inc., 1984).
PAGE: The text of the haiku: see no. 19 of the list below, haiku no. 318.
SCHOOL ... ACTIVITIES: The button gives a glimpse of bunraku
being performed by the ladies of the Edo Chiyoda castle; it is
from one of the triptychs of Toyohara Chikanobu (1838-1912). The
excerpt from the festive piece (shuugimono) Tsurukame
is from a 1964 Columbia recording oiwai to enkai no uta "Songs
for celebrations and parties." It is performed by Yoshimura
... SUMMER FESTIVAL: The button shows a
bit of merrymaking at an inn at Miya, stop #41 on the Toukaidou;
this drawing by Hiroshige appears on an Edo-period parcheesi board
titled Ukiyoe-hizakurige "Ukiyo-e journey on shank's
mare" (reprint Tokyo, Okuno Card Shop, no date). The board is
inspired by the comic novel "The Toukaidou on shank's mare."
I do not know the source of this recording of Tankou bushi.
SOURCES OF PREVIOUSLY
CITED HAIKU AND OTHER POETRY:
1. Matsuo Basho, A
Monkey's Raincoat, tr. by Maeda Cana (New York: Grossman
2. Janine Beichman, Masaoka Shiki
(Tokyo and New York: Kodansha, 1986).
3. R. H. Blyth, Haiku.
Volume 1 Eastern Culture (Tokyo: Hokuseido Press, 1949).
_____, Haiku. Volume 2 Spring (reprint, Tokyo: Hokuseido
5. _____, Haiku. Volume 3 Summer - Autumn
(reprint, Tokyo: Hokuseido Press, 1982).
6. _____, Haiku.
Volume 4 Autumn - Winter (reprint, Tokyo: Hokuseido Press,
7. Paula Doe, A Warbler's Song in the Dusk. The Life
and Work of Otomo Yakamochi (718—785) (Berkeley et al.:
University of California Press, 1982).
8. Patricia Donegan and
Yoshie Ishibashi, Chiyo-ni. Woman Haiku Master (Rutland,
Vt.-Tokyo: Charles E. Tuttle Publishing, 1998).
9. Harold G.
Henderson, An Introduction to Haiku (Garden City, N.Y.:
10. Lewis Mackenzie, tr., The Autumn Wind.
A Selection from the Poems of Issa (Tokyo-New York: Kodansha,
11. Makoto Ueda, Basho and his Interpreters.
Selected Hokku with Commentary (Stanford: Stanford University
12. Yuzuru Miura, Classic Haiku. A Master's
Selection (Rutland, Vt.-Tokyo: Charles E. Tuttle Publishing,
13. Faubion Bowers, The Classic Tradition of Haiku.
An Anthology (Mineola, N.Y.: Dover Publications, 1996).
14. Makoto Ueda, Modern Japanese Haiku.
An Anthology (Toronto: University of Toronto
15. Seishi Yamaguchi, The Essence of Modern Haiku.
300 Poems by Seishi Yamaguchi (Atlanta: Mangajin, Inc., 1993).
16. Burton Watson, tr., Saigyō: Poems of a Mountain Home (New York: Columbia University Press, 1991).
17. David Cobb, ed., Haiku. The Poetry of Nature (New York: Universe Publishing, 2002).
18. Cor van den Heuvel and Nanae Tamura, eds. and trs., Baseball Haiku. American and Japanese Haiku and Senryu on Baseball (New York and London: W.W. Norton, 2007).
19. W. S. Merwin amd Takako Lento, trs., Collected Haiku of Yosa Buson (Port Townsend, Wash. : Copper Canyon Press, 2013).